Sunday, May 17, 2009

Foster mom

One of our travel mates found a person that lives in China that helps adoptive parents locate their child's foster mom. I thought it would be a good idea to get the information for Halle for when she is older.

The person that was written on the information we received from the SWI was incorrect. Bruce, through the help of his friend at the SWI, was able to find the correct person. I was a little leary but they did provide a picture of the foster mom holding Halle when she was about 9 months old.

The biggest question that we had was why Halle went back to the orphanage so much earlier than the other babies (April). The news that we got from the FM was that she didn't go back that early, she didn't go back until November. While I would like to believe that is true my instincts tell me it isn't. Halle is way too possessive of toys (she likes to sit on them when other kids are around). She also showed almost no emotion after being hurt. She could have a hard fall and jump right up like nothing happened. Now she has to have it kissed, medicine put on (usually pretend) and then she kisses it herself:)

We also received several pictures of the foster mom, her house and some of the city she lived in. Most of the answers we received were somewhat generic but I'm hopeful that all of this will be helpful to Halle when she gets older. One thing that was included was Halle's nickname. It is Zhi-Zhi. I'm probably pronouncing it wrong but when I say it to Halle she totally responds to it. She just started calling herself "Halla". But when I say Zhi-Zhi she immediately turns around and points to herself like she does when we say Halle. I'm reading an adoption book now that says it is very important to not wait until the children are older but to talk to them about their lives prior to the adoption as much as possible. I usually do it when I am rocking her with her bottle. She hasn't shown much interest in anything else I say but she definitely recognizes her name. The book also recommends having a group of 3 pictures (referral picture, first meeting and later at home) to use to talk to the kids about. I'm still working on that part - of course :)

No comments: